Thursday, April 22, 2010

SCREENWRITER'S UPDATE - HOUSE ORDEAL

Hey Bloggies, hoping all is well.

We dropped the contract on the first house in Houston, near the Galleria, because it failed the "hydrostatic inspection". The test is about $350 and I highly advise getting it if buying a home, unless it's brand new. Basically, they plug the waste line outside the house, fill every sink, tub, and drain, and watch the line for thirty minutes. Most of the lines had dropped an inch per minute, meaning water was leaking out under the house (homes are mostly built on slab there, no basements). They included a bid for $15,000 to excavate and install new lines, and by then we had cold feet and moved on.

The search continued until we found Oak Forest, northwest of the city but still close. An older part of town, it reminds me a lot of the midwest in architectural style. Contract #2 failed because the buyer just sat on it, so we moved on. #3 is in action now, it's an exceptional place even with a large studio I could teach from, but we're waiting on response and I don't want to get my hopes up. We'll see.

Other than that, I've been moving a lot of dirt here, cutting weeds -- all the things you wanted to do with your home but don't until you're going on market, in a panic, lol! Been lucky with the temps in the 70's, so we did end up having one week of spring!

In other news, two bloggies got rescue dogs this month, really cool! Seems Sarah Z. writes at a hectic pace, she's always all over my Facebook news board, hehe! John August seems to be taking his blog in a new direction, almost in a "Dear Abby" kind of way to things not even related to screenwriting, and I'm not surprised to see he's good at it.

FADE OUT...

2 comments:

  1. Hehe, hectic, that's the right word. I feel like time's running out! Instead of "finishing" one script at a time, I hectically start writing new scripts over and over again, whatever crosses my mind. If I could only finish one of them, I'd feel less guilty in wasting my time on squishy ideas. *G

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were so stressed out about buying our first house. A lot of the real-estate lingo was over our heads, and we just felt like we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. Our first offer fell through, but that was a huge plus because we were having second thoughts anyway. It all worked out perfectly in the end, as I'm sure it will for you guys. Everything will fall into place. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I hope you can see some humor in this. If you can, please bookmark or pass it on, much appreciated.