Friday, January 29, 2010

INKTIP.COM

In this Thanksgiving 2009 post about
INKTIP.COM
(post at link)
I announced the entry of my script, "CLUNKER", into INKTIP.COM

Sixty bucks, a fax of my release, and almost two months later and I'm ready to share some info.

For starters, site admin Jerrol LeBaron seems on it. My fax was confirmed quickly, as well as my uploads, in no time I was "out there."

But let's go back in time, screenwriter, to your logline, maybe what you put together last, in an attempt to describe your entire story in one sentence -- if it sucks, your script is going to nowhere on Inktip, or anywhere else for that matter.

I loathe loglines, quote me here -- any wine or woman that can be described in one line is not of value. If someone described Rome to me in one line I never would have went there. But, loglines are an evil necessity of the biz, because execs only have so much time and they don't want to waste that time on a bad screenplay.

My lesson learned -- write the logline before the screenplay, unless you know it is so high-concept, so simplified, that there's no need to.

Anyway, Inktip offers a lot of visibility and options. You get to post your logline, treatment, script, choose the genres, budgets, number of actors, locations -- everything essential to the film. And all of that info is accessible to execs and prodcos, reportedly over 5000 members.

Prodcos can do a search on the site -- they may search for genre, budget -- it's like looking for a home to buy on realtor.com. They generally know what the budget is, but might be open to different genres, locations. When your listing comes up on a search, you're notified. That DOES NOT mean they looked at your listing, it simply means it came up in a search. You'll get the company name and can imdb.com it, but don't dare contact -- read the rules of the site.

You'll have stats on who searched, who accessed the logline, and finally, who downloaded the script, should you be so lucky. Finally, the other day, this happened to me, and I was happy to see the name of a prolific actor / producer / director listed there, with a long IMDB. The rest is up to destiny, or the quality of your writing.

You'll get emails from the site -- many, reminding you to upgrade to a newsletter, and I could do without this. BUT, you get an email newsletter with at least six prodcos, stating what they are looking for, and a chance to "apply" with them. My comment -- who could imagine so many prodcos were looking for horror flicks?

All in all, for $60, it's a pipeline right into Hollywood, and cheaper than two entries into those "one too many" screenwriting competitions. There is a lot more more I could tell you, but bottom line, it's cheaper than printing drafts and queries, if your screenplay means that much to you I highly advise you get onboard.

FADE OUT!

3 comments:

  1. Rome can't be told in one sentence... true. But what about "See Naples and die"? Worked for that century back then ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. InkTip rocks. At least it makes you feel special when you read that someone actually took a look at what you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, Sarah, that works. I still hate loglines, lol!

    Indeed, Jen, the cost is reasonable for that satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I hope you can see some humor in this. If you can, please bookmark or pass it on, much appreciated.