Saturday, January 30, 2010

HOUSTON

That's right -- we're Houston-bound!

Did I sell my script, find a job, or what? Nope. My wife was offered a lead position at the new headquarters in Houston, and I strongly encouraged her to take it. It's the next best step for her career, and we were set on getting out of this rural nowhere at any cost, so why not get paid for the move? Yep, includes relo pay and benefits.

Mind you, we just went through this less than two years ago, to get from St. Louis to here. It wasn't an easy task on such short notice and believe me, as far as what they pay you to do it, you're lucky to break even.

I've been to Houston, once, must've been about 12 years old. I don't know much about it -- don't care -- as long as I don't have to drive ninety minutes to get to a TARGET anymore. Plus, they have IKEA. And, we'll be even closer to the ocean.

And, they have a movie scene! Yep, prodcos and all. In fact, a screenwriting friend just had her script requested by a reputable prodco in Houston (shout-out to Sarah, good luck!)!

One thing is for sure -- before you move somewhere, you see everything that is good about the place. The people seem different in a good way. Once settled in, you start finding out about all the bad things -- in the local news, from neighbors, etc. And what was different about the people starts to be irritating. I've lived all over the U.S. and a few places in Europe and this never fails.

To keep this in check, I won't learn too much about the place too quick, I'll ride that naive wave a bit... and make sure I change the channel when "COPS" comes on!!

FADE OUT!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck in TX!!! ; )

    I don't mind any prejudices at all. I love the lone star state and that's why it's in my script :) Reminding me of my first time in TX... I spent the first night in a Best Western motel in Amarillo. Out of sudden, I don't even know why or whether a gas pipe was leaking or so... I LMAO and couldn't stop. It must have been that crazy air swirling around in Texas *LOL

    Thanks for the kudos ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prejudices? That would be every state here, especially South Carolina, lol.

    Houston is a cheap version of LA -- near the water, good restaurants, sprawled out, and plenty of SMOG from the refineries (maybe that's what you were gassed on!)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kinda crazy things are going on here... everything reminds me of Texas at the moment. Listening to Kevin Costner & Modern West right now singing "On up ahead there's some opportunities, You can find 'em everywhere, Maybe go to Houston, there's a lot of you there" (5 Minutes From America) *G

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I hope you can see some humor in this. If you can, please bookmark or pass it on, much appreciated.