Wednesday, February 17, 2010

VIRTUAL REALITY OF SCREENWRITING

I've been on a long, yet short, eight-month journey in the world of screenwriting. I spent long hours in training and achieved goals in a short amount of time. It's been a lesson that you really do set your own pace in this life.

Screenwriting as a craft is invigorating -- a challenging environment where you have to put a virtual world into the least but most descriptive words. It's a mind game that worked my brain like never before, and it makes me look at black fonts over white pages as an incredible gift.

Screenwriting as a profession is subjective -- screenwriters walk a fine line on the edge of an abyss. When people don't understand your words or practices and the meaning behind them it can be the ultimate frustration. People, in general, do not enjoy being told that they are not communicating correctly.

The future of screenwriting is bleak -- less spec scripts are selling, there are battles over writing credits. It's as if Hollywood cares more about a known name being tagged than what the content of the script is, or who actually wrote it.

I know a lot of people who love to write and if it's your passion then you should keep on with it, regardless of the market conditions. There will always be a need for screenwriters, especially in television and for smaller prodcos. And, if you hit the writing Lotto, your spec might make it in big Hollywood, it's always something to shoot for.

For now, I'm stepping out of the virtual world of screenwriting and back into my reality of renovating and prepping for the move to Houston. It feels good being productive, with my hands on a brush, and being able to look at the results. The black fonts have been replaced by colorful swashes on the wall and ceiling.

I'm not giving up on screenwriting -- I have three good spec scripts which will get more polished, and I'm looking forward to contacting the local prodco when I get to Houston. But for now, efforts have to stay focused on actually getting there.

I would never regret making the time investment I have in order to learn how to write a script, and it didn't cost me one penny, that was also a goal. I'm certified and qualified in a myriad of things, all of which I'm proud of, and screenwriting has added perspective to my life.

But -- I'm an artist and instructor, students always said that was my true calling. In that realm I've had my most exciting moments and successes, and I supported myself for over twenty years with it. Decorative painting is "sexy", all about moves and motions, processes that lead to a visual end result that everyone can enjoy, if done properly. It's fast-moving, especially in my classes -- given just a few days to convey a lifetime of painting experience to students so they can go out and do business. It's exciting and very rewarding, so I'm looking forward to teaching again.

Good luck in your writing, or whatever you do.

Goodbye virtual, hello reality!

FADE OUT, BUT NOT AWAY!

4 comments:

  1. By local prodco, you mean Lleju?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. Plus, Houston has an annual film festival...

    http://www.worldfest.org/PAGES/history.htm

    and plenty of prodcos

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=houston+production+companies&aq=1&aqi=g6g-m1&oq=houston+productio

    so who needs Hollywood? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The big question is: Will you still blog? Even if you're going to take a short break from screenwriting, you are still a captivating writer and you can't just leave us hanging! Your readers will understand if you feel the need to steer your career in a different direction for a while, as long as you don't leave us hanging. ;-)~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe, thanks Holly, I juggled that thought along with whether I should work on my art blog again or create one for the move. For the time being I'm undecided, but am sure I will post on big events like finding a house, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I hope you can see some humor in this. If you can, please bookmark or pass it on, much appreciated.