Monday, December 14, 2009

KITTY RESCUE PART 2

So, as described yesterday, three black kitties, maybe ten weeks old, were living around a McDonald's trash dumpster an hour away from here. This morning I headed out with all my cat-trapping gear and faithful rescue dog, Caesar, at my side.

I was nervous on the drive up. I feared seeing three black spots on the highway upon arrival. Not the case, thank god. But, my jitters were more justifified than I knew -- I had just hopped out of the van, searching for the kittens, and low and behold a fat guy, 30's, crewcut, comes up to me. Here it is in script form --

Brian scouts the dumpster area of McD's and a place called "Clock" or something, whose drive-thru is adjacent to all of this. A fat guy approaches, apparently annoyed.

FAT GUY
What are you doing?

BRIAN
(easy-going)
Oh, hi there, seen any kittens running around here?

FAT GUY
(still with his asshole tone)
Yeah, why?

BRIAN
Well, I uhh, we noticed them the other day, looked like they would be run over, so I brought my stuff to catch them and give them a good home and all.

FAT GUY
Cats been here for years, we like them. You're not taking all of them. You need to come back at night anyway.

BRIAN
Well, I uhh... I live far away, drove over an hour to get here--

FAT GUY
No, you need to come back at night, we want the cats here anyway.

BRIAN
Oh yeah, cats are good, they kill the rats.

FAT GUY
(super-wide eyed)
Rats? Oh no, no rats here, we don't have rats.

At which point I just figured out that numb-nuts here is a cook, and I'm implying they have rats, beyond the fact that they are facilitating having wild animals on the property, etc.

I acted as if I was leaving, he went into the back door of the place, and I set up shop. Before I knew it, two black kitties were coming out of the bushes. I got them with the live trap, one at a time, had to string the door because they don't weigh enough to set off the trip plate.

The first one, "Donner" (thunder in German) was not happy at all when I went for the transfer to the kitty carrier. Thank god for thick gloves. This all took place in the back of my van, doors closed, smart move.

The next, "Comet", was more more calm, I figure it's a female. She did fine with the transfer.

And still, we had a third black kitty MIA. He's the smart one, the dodgy and conniving one, too smart for the trap it seems. I waited it out but he went to crash in the bushes, full. I have to wait until he's hungry again to trap him.

So, we headed back, just released the kitties into the basement. Wanted to get them into Caesar's big kennel but they had other plans. Next on the agenda is socializing them enough to get them checked for any diseases.

I'm heading back for the third one tonight or tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Impressive!

    I'm nominating you for "Animal Rescuer of the Year". :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I hope you can see some humor in this. If you can, please bookmark or pass it on, much appreciated.