Tuesday, December 15, 2009

KITTY RESCUE PART 3

Last night Caesar the dog and I drove in an hour of fog in hopes of rescuing the third and last kitty. We did it! "Blitzen", "lightning" in German, is aptly named because he or she was the hardest catch. But, within thirty minutes, this solid black kitty was in the live trap and on the way to reuniting with the siblings in our lower level.




All three are resting comfortably, eating well, using the litter box. This morning during feeding they came right out in front of me and ate. Eventually I'll just put the food in my lap and they'll have to come and get it.


I thought Blitzen was the leader, turns out it's the runt, smaller than the other two, most talkative, and even approached and smelled my hand. What a cutie!

All in all it cost me a tank of gas, nerves, some time -- and I feel like it was the best thing I've done in 2009. I thank my Lovely Wife, blog friends, and best friend Dave for their support; the posts, calls, texts, and emails really gave me great confidence during the adventure. And Caesar the dog, of course. My buddy is always by my side and he's a rescue dog that rescues!

This holiday month I ask you to please help an animal in need. These kittens are happy now, they're not struggling in the cold, searching for food, dodging cars in a drive-thru. Cats and dogs are domesticated animals not indigenous to this country.

PLEASE help a little friend in need this month, they will appreciate it. Here are some suggestions, every little bit counts!

*Donate dog or cat food to a local animal shelter (they usually prefer basic dry food, tan in color). Call your ASPCA, Humane Society, or other shelter and ask what they are in need of.

*Visit a shelter and walk a pet, give them a good "scratchy", just talk to them.

*Adopt a pet. A dog is a big responsibility, especially if it is a puppy. Cats are very self-sufficient. Please only adopt if you can have the pet inside and have the time and money to care for it.

*Feed a stray. If you know of an area where stray pets gather and need food, please leave some for them. If you do this over time they will befriend you.

*Defend a suffering pet. Is there a person on your street who is not feeding or housing a pet properly? You can make an anonymous call to authorities and they will act. You might be the only voice for this suffering animal, please stand up for their rights!

*Donate, online or in person. Most shelters are in need.

There is a concern about donating to "kill" shelters. Last year this area alone put down 5000 animals because they do not have the room to house them. It's ashame, worse maybe, is the suffering these pets endure in improper environments. The best way to prevent this is through spaying and neutering. If you or a friend have been putting this off, please act this month!

Somewhere out there is a little buddy who wants and appreciates your help. Please don't leave it up to others -- ACT NOW!

PLEASE forward this to a friend, every bit counts! THANKS!

4 comments:

  1. Every time you save a kitten, an angel gets it's wings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! We need more folks like you out there. I have 2 rescued cats myself and I foster rescued cats for CITY CRITTERS in NYC! Keep up the great work!
    T

    I HAVE CAT
    Single in the city - with cat (s)
    http://ihavecat.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ihaveacat, keep fighting the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's AWESOME! I'm a huge cat lover, so it hits a nerve when I see homeless kitties. It sounds like you went to great lengths in your rescue attempt, and I really admire that. Are you going to keep them? Also, my cat's name is Caesar- but I never call him that. He mostly goes by "Meezer" these days, because I started calling him that when he was still a kitten and it just stuck.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I hope you can see some humor in this. If you can, please bookmark or pass it on, much appreciated.