Monday, November 2, 2009

HOW TO WASTE TIME

When someone offers to read your script, whether it's a professional reader or just a friend, you should be thankful. What that means is foresight, not hindsight. They're spending an hour or so of their time helping you, don't expect them to clean up your junk.

When your screenplay has typos and camera angles you're telling me one thing: you don't care, so why should I? If I can tell that you didn't proofread the damn thing then why should I? What, is your time more important than mine? Doubt it, at least to me.

Last night I finally downloaded a script that people, on a message board, had been raving about. It's an unproduced script by someone with obvious talent, or so it seemed as I was reading it.

At the end of 117 pages I had annotated all in my head so I could do this person a favor and post notes, a review, whatever you like.

*one character typo
*address "mom" as "Mom"
*kill the camera angles
*use "filtered" instead of "V.O." for phone conversations
*why did that character disappear and come back way late?
*get to the point quicker in the first ten pages
*check the ethics and morals of the one character, dangerous move, maybe

So, I go on, ready to post that and some good suggestions on how to resolve the problems. Paging through other's feedback, I see the scribe posted this:

"Oh, that's not my latest version, I changed that, and got rid of that character, and..."...."an email so I can send the revised script".

What did I WANT to post??
"YOU ARE A COMPLETE DUMBASS"

What DID I post?
Nothing.

As much as I feel like getting the "latest" version and posting notes, I won't do this person the favor and waste MORE of my time... except for in this post, ranting about it.

So, to you, yes, that promising screenwriter that wasted my time, you know what's wrong with your script? NOTHING, nothing I care to share with you, except this tip--

always post the most recent version of your script so you don't waste my time!

9 comments:

  1. Oh man, that would be frustrating. At least you TRIED to be helpful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Holly, this is as edgy as it gets for me concerning posts, but I had to vent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a bummer. Well, at least you know what the competition's up to. What was the screenplay about?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A rom-com, without being too detailed-- a good talent, quick read, good potential in my book, it had me going--after page ten.

    Good point on the competition--as always, skills required, then discipline. You're dissing dedicated readers and fans with old versions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read a 120 pages script on Triggerstreet once... it was sooooo boring and senseless, but as I started reading it and wanted to post my review (with lots of typos etc) I read til the last page. *uff* Later it had been removed from Triggerstreet. Well, well...

    Yesterday at work a guy, I hardly like, suggested to bring along some of my screenplays so he can read them; see what others write about and how they do it. I hate it, when they ask me to bring along my scripts, because a) some things a very personal I rather let it read by strangers b) he's a total jerk!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Removed, lol!!

    Someone requesting a copy, that has to make you wonder if they honestly want to read it or get inside your head and slam you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another guy requesting my script is hardly able to read my short e-mails... so why should he read a hundred pages? Sometimes the only conflict created in life is to find a non-idiotic person who takes your works/words seriously *G

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, reminds me of an email friend, who quickly scans and replies. Two times this month I had to reply with the original content-- I learned to do this until he actually reads it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Sarah--just sent a screenplay to a friend from my acting class. Of course haven't heard back. So frustrating to show the work and not receive anything!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I hope you can see some humor in this. If you can, please bookmark or pass it on, much appreciated.