Friday, November 27, 2009

MOVIE REVIEW: MILK

You've probably seen MILK, being awarded best screenplay and all. I had read the script but saw the film for the first time, last night. Moving picture, it is.

As for structure, the film was so interesting I found myself not even trying to count the changes in acts, I didn't care. Sean Penn does such an amazing job portraying Harvey Milk that I really felt like I was there, no distractions.

Emile Hirsch does an amazing job as well, full into his method. It's one of those movies you google afterwards to read all about, and we did.

Unfortunate is the relatively small box office returns for such an amazing film. Few will have the incentive to shoot something worth the while if this keeps up. It grossed about 60 mill total with DVD sales. Just counting the number of homosexuals in this world one would figure the numbers would be much higher. It's a must see, especially if you are from the G&L community.

By the end my feeling was that Harvey Milk is to the gay community as MLK is to african americans and the civil rights movement. Only the letter "i" separates MLK and Milk. Neither would sit idly by and tolerate ignorance, and they paid the ultimate price in the process.

A lot to be said for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I hope you can see some humor in this. If you can, please bookmark or pass it on, much appreciated.