Tuesday, November 17, 2009

WGA REGISTRATION

Last night, after knowing my script would need only one more PDF proof-read, I went to the WGAW (Writer's Guild of America, West) site and registered my screenplay. Drum roll, please --

WGAW Registration# 1394440

Yep, for twenty bucks, I filed my screenplay in Hollywood, right over the internet. For an accomplished screenwriter this might be more of a nuisance than glory. But for me, and many other craft virgins, this marks a moment in time where we've created something worth protecting, and the WGA gives us the right to do so.

One-hundred and four days ago, I didn't know ANYTHING about screenwriting, zilch! That's when I thrust myself into training, spending every day and hour I could to learn the craft, mostly over the internet...no, I mean ALL of it over the internet, for free. I dug through all the good and the bad, at first not even knowing how to disseminate it.

But my online mentors have served me well. And, believe it not, be happy or snarky, but I've been asked for a hard copy of my script from "someone who matters". If all checks out, it goes on to their Hollywood agent. If not, there will be an edit, then onwards.

Donald Trump says "think big", and I did. I've gotten this far. My next goal is to have something in production by next year, and in this profession that just might be a longshot, but so far I've been beating some odds.

Get out there with me, "thinkin' big", the first hurdle to getting over this thing is yourself and completing that stack of script.

Good luck, and...

FADE OUT

5 comments:

  1. Hey congratulations! Registering a script is always a big moment. It all feels very official now, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!! : )
    I received my registration certificate today via snail mail. I'm very proud of it and I still need to buy a frame : )

    BTW, I wouldn't make the # public, because after a while they track it and see it's been lying around for one year or two or even five, they might say it's an old hat! Just "Registered with WGAw" on the title page will do it.

    But for now... enjoy being part of the WGAw! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey alt, yes it does, just wish it really meant something, lol! It does..kinda.

    Sarah, I like your idea on the framing!

    According to the WGAW site:

    Who has access to registered material or submissions?

    Only the listed author(s) may request access to records or information pertaining to registered material. All requests must be in writing from authors regarding their own work and must be accompanied by photo identification. Requests may be submitted by mail, facsimile, or delivered in person.

    But I'm a skeptic, so I WILL check into the possibility of someone doing such.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a huge accomplishment! Congrats to you. Let us know how it goes! I read this post aloud to my man, because I thought it was really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks tons, dear Holly, with your artsy skills and "thinkin' big" ways I'm expecting to see you on Martha Stewart someday, go for it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I hope you can see some humor in this. If you can, please bookmark or pass it on, much appreciated.