Thursday, August 13, 2009

ALL'S WELL, THAT ENDS WELL

EXT. SCREENED PORCH - MORNING

It's a WET morning in the SOUTH.
Small, silvery DROPS of DEW dangle from a drooping DOGWOOD tree.
The LAWN is a lush GREEN, moisture accelerating the GROWTH of CRABGRASS.

BRIAN (V.O.)
I've been learning about endings, as in the end of a film. There are a lot of different philosophies on how to "properly" end a film, apparently the europeans throw every reasonable method out the window. The "problem film", as most euros refer to it, is supposed to make you think long after the film. It makes a lot of people think alright, think that they will never sit through another european film!
(beat)
But I do love the concept, I don't mind an "unfinished" ending. In the fine arts we say "leave blank space in the painting, it gives the viewer's eye a chance to rest". Fill everything with detail and perfection, expected endings, and there's no peace, no room for imagination or rest.

INT. ELEMENTARY SCHOOL - DAY

WE see a young Brian DRAWING on a large SHEET of PAPER in ART CLASS.
There is an OUTLINE of a small CASTLE in the upper left CORNER of the SHEET.
The REST of the PAPER is left BLANK, with a few GRAPHITE SMUDGES.

WEIRD MALE ART TEACHER
(whiny)
That's a neat start, Brian, now what are you going to put here?

The teacher WAVES his hand over the BLANK SPACE.

BRIAN
(quietly)
Nothing.

WEIRD MALE ART TEACHER
(encouraging)
How about a lake, or a stream, or maybe a KNIGHT with a SWORD?

Brian
(enlightening)
Hmm, actually, it's finished. I like it.

WEIRD MALE ART TEACHER
(stunned)
Umm, okay, looks like you started something and didn't finish. The smudges, what do they represent?

BRIAN
(pleased)
Your thoughts.

WEIRD MALE TEACHER
(dummified)
-?

BRIAN
(explaining)
See, it works, I made you think, I want the viewer to use their imagination. If I fill the space it's just going to be another drawing with a lake and a knight.

WEIRD MALE TEACHER
(agitated)
Okay, Brian, in order for me to grade this you have to at least TELL ME what the smudges are, I can't grade imaginary test answers, nor imaginary art.
(beat)
So what do the smudges represent?

BRIAN
(matter of factly)
Crabgrass!!

INT. SCREENED PORCH - MORNING

A city UTILITY TRUCK speeds by.
Brian is wondering if the POWER will soon GO OUT?
He TYPES faster, knowing the BATTERY of the LAPTOP is LOW.

BRIAN (V.O.)
I don't think I'll be applying the "unfinished" effect to my script. Not because I think the audience is uncapable of thinking on their own, but because I learned that the ending to a movie is the reward for sitting through it. It's like a treat, and I don't want to starve the viewers or critics.
(beat)
I'm going to make the entire film enjoyable, not just the ending. I once read, on a poster, that life is about the "happiness of pursuit", not vice versa. Right now my focus is on making that an interesting race.

EXT. RACETRACK GRANDSTAND - DAY

ANNOUNCER
(enthusiastic)
They're out of the gates, "CRITIC'S CHOICE" in the lead, "SCRIPTWRITER" back by three lengths, followed by the rest of the pack...

CUT TO:
LAST TURN

ANNOUNCER
(ecstatic)
...and "SCRIPTWRITER" has taken the lead! The longshot's GONNA WIN IT!
FINAL STRETCH, "SCRIPTWRITER" going to the line,,,uh, what's that?
THERE IS NO FINISH LINE, FOLKS! It's and UNFINISHED ENDING!!

CROWD
(pissed)
BOOOOO!!!

FADE OUT

NOTE: The writer of this script does not support the brutal bloodsport of horse-racing. To find out more, please visit the PETA fact sheet at this LINK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I hope you can see some humor in this. If you can, please bookmark or pass it on, much appreciated.