Sunday, August 16, 2009

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

EXT. SCREENED PORCH - MORNING

A SPUTTERING sound ENVELOPES the AIR.
Brian DASHES to the SCREEN, EYES DARTING around the SKY.
It's a low flying BI-PLANE over the BULLARD RESIDENCE.

BRIAN (V.O.)
Makes me want to work on the RED BARON script I thought of.
(beat)
Week two of my scriptwriting experience is coming to an end. It's been another successful week of writing and learning. Probably the best thing I've learned is what most wannabe screenwriters don't want to hear: it's not easy.
(beat)
Truth be told, nobody wants to hear the truth about any profession they're hoping to break into.

INT. CLASSROOM - MORNING

Brian stands in front of another ENTHUSIASTIC GROUP of STUDENTS who want to get into the BUSINESS of DECORATIVE PAINTING.

BRIAN
(charming)
Good morning, class!

STUDENTS
(thrilled)
Good morning!

BRIAN
Okay, we've painted a lot, covered the fundamentals and techniques of the art, now we're diving into the business portion, namely the act of pricing your faux finishes and creating a contract for your client.

STUDENTS
-?

BRIAN
Yep, if you want to get paid for your art, you have to know the business.

ARTSY TYPE STUDENT #1
Can we paint another sample first? That was FUN!

BRIAN
I'm glad you enjoyed that, but no, now to price it.

CRAFTY STUDENT #1
But in the brochure it said we would be painting most of the time?

BRIAN
It did, and you did, we did, now we need to spend a fraction of that time on the business part. Without that, you won't be doing much painting, or at least for money.

HOUSEWIFE TYPE STUDENT #1
I just came to learn how to paint my own house, so can I go back to painting?

BRIAN
Sure, okay, fine, paint another sample.

ARTSY TYPE STUDENT #1
Can I help her?

CRAFTY STUDENT #1
And can I?

BRIAN
Okay, you guys paid $1500 for the course, if you want to paint the whole time I'm not going to force this down your throats. But you'll never have business if you don't learn the info.

CRAFTY STUDENT #1
Sure we will, it just takes the RIGHT client.

HOUSEWIFE TYPE STUDENT #1
And CONTACTS.

TITLE OVER:
ONE MONTH LATER

Brian's cell phone RINGS.

BRIAN
Hello?

INTERCUT WITH:
ARTSY TYPE STUDENT #1
(filtered)
Brian, hi, I had a few questions now that I'm back home.

BRIAN
Sure, go ahead.

ARTSY TYPE STUDENT #1
(filtered)
How do I price my work?

BRIAN
I don't know, maybe find a contact to get the right client?

EXT. SCREENED PORCH - MORNING

BRIAN (V.O.)
And that was my big lesson this week, how much people are paying NOT to be in the screenplay business. They're forking out a lot at universities and seminars, just to go against their instructor's good advice. I read that the bulk just believe it takes making contacts and landing their script in the "right" hands. My mentor says that's not the truth. Many can't handle the truth.
(beat)
Lucky me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I hope you can see some humor in this. If you can, please bookmark or pass it on, much appreciated.