Thursday, August 27, 2009

MISTAKES & EFFORT

INT. WORDPLAYER COLUMN PAGE - MORNING

We see Brian SCROLLING down a list of "ORIGINAL APHORISMS" posted by his mentor.

TERRI ROSSIO (O.S.)
Mistakes are the by-product of action -- and thus an accurate gauge of effort.

BRIAN (V.O.)
(laughing)
Then my life has been FULL of EFFORT!
(beat)
I'm fortunate to have a mentor that I agree with. It always irked me when someone has something to complain about but is doing nothing to change the course of events. Better to step up and try to change things, accept the mistakes, and keep going forward.

BLOG READER #1 OFFICE - DAY

BLOG READER #1
Hey kid, been making a lot of mistakes, eh? A REAL SCREENWRITER doesn't have to make so many mistakes because they've LEARNED the craft in all their years of schooling!

BRIAN (V.O.)
Hey there, B.R. One, how's it going?

BLOG READER #1
Oh, now you've finally come to your wits, talking to me, maybe you need some advice from the master?

BRIAN (V.O.)
Well of course, with all your training and expertise, you must be full of good advice.

BLOG READER #1
That, I am.

BRIAN (V.O.)
Okay, then help me out with this if you like: I've got someone in the industry who is always down on me, seems no matter what I do, it's not going to satisfy this person.

BLOG READER #1
An executive?

BRIAN (V.O.)
I'll leave out the details, let's just say it's someone who "follows my work".

BLOG READER #1
Okay.

BRIAN (V.O.)
So, lend me an example of what you've done in these situations, so I can learn.

BLOG READER #1
Well, kid, not often that someone disagrees with me.

BRIAN (V.O.)
Do you think they're agreeing, or just not telling you what they're thinking?

BLOG READER #1
There's no doubt, most agree with me.

BRIAN (V.O.)
Because they're not telling you what they think, right?

BLOG READER #1
Who's the one giving advice here, kid?

BRIAN (V.O.)
You.

BLOG READER #1
So why don't you just agree, then we'll move on.

BRIAN (V.O.)
Which proves my point.

BLOG READER #1
Which is?

BRIAN (V.O.)
You only want people to agree with you.

BLOG READER #1
I gotta run, I have a one-o'clock with an executive! You keep writing your little BLOG, kid!

INT. WORDPLAYER COLUMN PAGE - MORNING

Brian SIPS his cup of WARM COFFEE.

BRIAN (V.O.)
It's about time I took that guy down a notch.
(beat)
I'll keep making mistakes, that's what script rewrites and polishing are about. When it comes down to doing a deal I'll be well-versed in rewriting, unless the executives just agree with me and tell me what I want to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I hope you can see some humor in this. If you can, please bookmark or pass it on, much appreciated.