Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A MAN OF FEW WORDS

EXT. SCREENED PORCH - MORNING

SMOOTH JAZZ permeates the AIRWAVES.
Brian gets a TEXT from his LOVELY WIFE.
Wanting to EXTRACT her from the CONFINES of the CORPORATE WORLD, our HERO works hard at his POTENTIALLY award-winning SCRIPT.

BRIAN (V.O.)
One thing I enjoy about writing a script is the ability to change anything with just a few words, and as few words as possible, or so it should be.
(beat)
If I think about that, some of the shortest lines can have the biggest impact, in a script, but even moreso in life.
(beat)
Take, for example:
"I do". The first thing that comes to my mind is marriage, and how those two words represent everything agreed to "above the line".
(beat)
"I quit". In my mind, it automatically refers to someone quitting their job, and it is the one time we see a quitter in a positive light. It's the moment when an under-appreciated and overworked employee stands up for themselves.
(beat)
"I wish". An innocent hope, maybe naive, but we respect it. A villain never says "I wish", this comes from someone we side with, somebody we like.

DUSTY, Cat #1, SAUNTERS in and HOPS up on a WICKER CHAIR.
He PEERS out at the GROWING LAWN, while DIGESTING his morning BITE of CRABGRASS.

BRIAN (V.O.)
It's quite a balancing act writing a script of few words that have a lot of impact. I should take a look at the "CASTAWAY" script, that probably has the most "action" descriptions of any screenplay, and yet it was such a success (I linked a third draft, which was still changed in the movie!).
(beat)
Maybe because people enjoy the element of using less words? Possibly so.
(beat)
Because people enjoy the use of less words? Possibly so.
(beat)
People enjoy less words? Possibly.
(beat)
Less words? DEFINITELY!

FADE OUT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I hope you can see some humor in this. If you can, please bookmark or pass it on, much appreciated.