Monday, August 24, 2009

THE PUFFY CHAIR

MOVIE REVIEW

Skipping through the movie guide of the satellite system, I spy an interesting title: THE PUFFY CHAIR. The description went something like "a man, his girlfriend, and brother travel to Atlanta to pick up a chair he purchased on Ebay". I quickly programmed it to record.

Josh, the main character, buys a chair on Ebay and sets out from New York on a road trip with girlfriend Emily. They soon pick up Rhett, the first of many errors on the journey. The goal is the delivery of the chair to Atlanta as a gift for
their father's birthday.

The show is fairly fast moving, it mostly kept my attention, which means a lot, coming from me. It's shot in "shaky-cam" style, using a Panasonic AG-DVX100A. The first act incorporates a lot of this motion, less as the film goes on (thank god,
it was making me queasy!).

It's well scripted, although I read there was much adlibbing it's not apparent. The acting and dialogue are fantastic, especially for a seemingly low-budget film.

The director, Jay Duplass, later went on to act in "Nights and Weekends". Mark Duplass co-wrote and plays the main character. The film was released in
2006, check into Wikipedia or IMDB for more on the brothers.

I highly recommend viewing the film, especially for aspiring screenwriters. It shows how characters and dialogue are much more important than a particular
setting or effect. or effect. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I hope you can see some humor in this. If you can, please bookmark or pass it on, much appreciated.